Wednesday, October 7, 2009

We All Need Some Titanic Moments

Ok, so I'm not a big fan of Titanic. I admit, I saw it twice when it came out, and have watched parts when it's on TV. I have never cried when Jack sinks into the ocean, sorry. However, one of my favorite parts of the movie is at the end. When Rose speaks of Jack's encouragement to do many things in her life, and the camera spans past the pictures of her life. Many women I know were married very young. It seems like when this happens, we quickly become immersed in children and balancing everything out. But my heart hurts for women that live life afraid of living. There are many things in a female's life that require bravery and courage. One of my favorite quotes is from the movie Bounce..."It's not brave if you're not scared." I think this is very true. Our minds sometimes hurt at the thought of trying things that are scary.
My friend Mary of the Sweet Mary blog has taught me by her own example to not be afraid. She has lived all over the world, she moved to Rhode Island alone after her divorce to attend culinary school. And she was not afraid to move back to Maryland after to start yet again a new adventure. I remember telling her I was moving, and that I was petrified to drive the moving truck. She told me to go for it, and have fun doing it! And I did, and now, I would do it anytime.
This past Sunday, I got to ride on the back of a motorcyle. I was afraid, I'll admit. But that's why I wanted to try it. And I loved it. It's one of those activities that entirely clears your mind of thoughts, even if it's just for half an hour. Between the sound of the Harley and the cool autumn weather, it was so exhilirating. I love these Titanic moments, and I wish for every female out there, including Mom...don't be afraid. Be brave and do these things for yourself. They make you stronger, and braver for the next adventure life throws at you.

2 comments:

  1. I think one of the best things that can happen to a woman is to be on her own. To have to rely on herself even if it's just for a short time. I think it's so important to know you CAN DO IT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stacy,
    Hello! I'm a producer in New York working on a really interesting project about Gen Y and personal finance/careers - it's called Your Money Story and is being produced by an Academy Award-winning filmmaker - Tom Lennon. (you can read more about it at www.yourmoneystory.com).
    One of the topics we're covering in these films is the dilemma of the "boomerang generation" and moving back home. I've looked over youe blog and would welcome the chance to speak with you, so if you're interested please contact me at:
    mollyknightraskin@gmail.com
    Cheers and hope to hear from you,
    Molly

    ReplyDelete