Friday, July 17, 2009

Why I Don't Want to Get Old

So I decided I really don't want to get old. The things you worry about are scary. Because they're not really scary. I live in New England. Granted, we get some scary cold winters. But you'll never face a life-threatening tornado, sunami, or earthquake here. In July, the worst weather you'll face is blaring 90 degree humidity.

My little shuffling, four-feet nine-inch grandmother worries about the weather year-round. She kept the heat on into June this year. If my father didn't dummy her boiler and turn it off, I'm pretty sure she'd still have it on. The other morning, she is doing her regular routine and reading the paper. "Oh, thundershowers today. I better close the screen." She shuffles to the side door. Opens the alumium door, and closes the screen on the outside door. I don't know if she has been like this her whole life, I have never asked. I know she hasn't worked in twenty years, she has not driven in ten. She has never lived alone. I wonder if anyone has ever studied why old people worry about the weather. Maybe twice every winter, when I'm stuck at work and there is already five inches on the ground, I'll check the weather to determine my commute. If we've had five days of rain, I'll check for sun.

Maybe she's just making conversation. But usually when she talks about it, I'm not even in the room. Ok now I'm even more afraid of getting old...

1 comment:

  1. She sounds like my grandmother used to be.....wasn't happy unless she had something to worry about. Guess it's normal. For them, not for me. :-)

    Thanks for stopping by. Hope you do again.

    ReplyDelete